Southwest Elementary – General Information
School History and Accomplishments
Southwest Elementary Village is located just south of Lakeland’s historic Beacon Hill district. Since opening in 1956, our school strives to create and nurture a culture of excellence and high expectations for all students. We are honored to be the home of four district level Teachers of the Year. Southwest has also received numerous Disney Teacheriffic Awards for the above and beyond efforts of our teachers. Several of our teachers have also met the rigorous requirements to be Nationally Board Certified. Former Superintendent of Polk County Schools, Dr. Sherrie Nickell, also served as a principal at Southwest Elementary. When opened, the playground located under the shady oaks in front of our campus, was named in her honor. This playground was the culmination of a student-led project to raise the money necessary to build the park. It is jointly maintained by our school and the City of Lakeland. Through the years we have worked to establish a beautiful garden like campus which features magnolia trees, pecan trees, and an outdoor garden classroom.
Each year approximately 500 students call Southwest Elementary home. We provide a warm, safe environment where children can grow academically and socially. Through our dedicated staff and our high expectations, we work to provide a world class education that enriches the lives of all of our students. Some of our most recent accomplishments are include the following:
- ITV – Polk County Video Awards Winner:
- Superior Daily News Show
- Finalist: Best Music Video “Read, Write and All That Jazz”
- Finalist: Best Male Announcer
- Finalist: Best Announcing Team
- Finalist: Best Short Film “Fuzzy Wuzzy 2.0 The Sequel
- Finalist: Digital Footprint Awareness PSA “Following Your Digital Footprint”
- Awards and Recognitions
- Target First Books Grant Recipient
- All County Elementary Music Showcase
- All County Elementary Visual Arts
- Regional A-Team Champions
- American Legion Awards
- Optimist Club Awards
- National School Breakfast Excellence Award and Grant
- Multiple Student Recognitions for “Do the Right Thing Award”
- Fancelli Family Future Leaders Scholarship Program
- Rack Room Shoes Grant
- Multiple School and Individual Student Art Awards: Polk Museum of Art, Bartow Bloomin’ arts Festival, Mayfair, etc.
- Positive Behavior Support – Southwest Elementary is a PBS school. A team of teachers have been trained by the University of South Florida on the implementation and best practices of positive behavior training. This team of teachers leads our school in implementing high behavior expectations in a warm, caring environment that focuses on teaching appropriate behaviors through positive relationships and modeling.
We encourage all to stop by our school for a visit. We are confident that you will be excited about what we have to offer, so come by and see what it means to be a…Southwest Spur!
Our classrooms feature the latest in technology to enhance learning in the 21st Century. Each classroom features mounted LCD projectors, document cameras, SMART Boards, and several student computer stations. Many of our classrooms also have Light Speed, a digitally enhanced sound system to increase support for auditory learners. Each grade level also has interactive SMART Senteo systems which allow students to complete certain assignments through remote-control like devices.
In addition to in-classroom supports, we also have a 35 station computer lab, a mobile laptop cart, a 25 station lab within our media center, and 15 desktop computers in our Science lab. Our physical education program also integrates technology in their PE classroom through the use of an integrated Wii system and LCD projector. Furthermore, our school has a daily television news show which is directed and created by students. This program integrates multiple platforms of technology through the use of digital cameras, computer based film editing systems, and various audio equipment.
All this equipment can be operated and utilized by our teachers who have been trained in SMART Board integration, SENTEO integration, and various school-based technology training provided by our full time network manager and model technology teachers. In addition, 97% of all teachers have received a proficient score on the statewide technology assessment.